Cob in really cold climates

M J Epko duckchow at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 30 01:46:26 CDT 1996

At 09:47 PM 8/29/96 -0500, Eric Hart wrote:

>Minnesota has a cold climate.  So my question is, what is the R-value of
>cob?  Does anybody know? When it gets down to -30 F every year for a week or
>so, you care about the R-value of a building system.   I have heard that
>rammed earth does not work in cold climates because earth is great for
>thermal mass but poor for insulation.  I don't see why cob is much
>different.

        Seems to me that rammed earth is like man-made rock, often
stabilized with concrete which further reduces thermal resistance. The stuff
is pounded inside forms, these days commonly with air hammers. No air
pockets, no plant stuff. As I understand it cob is hand-packed. It probably
doesn't have the compressive strength of rammed earth, but I think it would
certainly have better thermal characteristics.

        My rammed earth book by David Easton is out on loan, or I'd get it out.

        Perhaps you (Eric) could help answer this question, actually. I know
you were working on precasting building components of a straw / cement
mixture, which would, I think, likely have worse thermal characteristics
than cob as pertains to thermal transfer. How's that going? Have you had the
opportunity to find the magic recipe & try the concept out? Did it behave
responsibly for our climate?

>Just want to get all the issues out on the table so we don't think that one
>building system is the solution for all climates.  It seems to me that each
>climate requires a different type of building system that utilizes local
>resources.

        I agree with this.

*

        I can't answer the r-value thing. But I'm sitting here trying to
make sense of the formulae in Earth Sheltered Housing Design (1979,
University of Minnesota) to get some idea of what an answer *might* be. I'm
reading the section on thermal loss through earth roofs (which would not
necessarily be the same as thermal loss through cob walls.) I recognize that
this book is talking about loose earth, not packed, but they do consider
topgrowth which may simulate the characteristics of straw mixed in
throughout the soil.

        Anyway - fully mindful that this entire 318-page book was written
with consideration of weather data collected from 1940 to 1970 for the