Cob gleanings from the SB archives (LONG)

M J Epko duckchow at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 31 11:07:11 CDT 1996

Cob & cob-related posts from the CREST archives of the SB newsgroup:

*

From: "Steve J. Sibert" <sibert at lynx.dsaco.dsai.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 08:48:02 -0600
Subject: "Cob" Construction

Hi Folks,

This was posted in the alt.archetecture.alternative newsgroup. It seemed
somewhat applicible to the discussions on this list. It was posted in reply
to a question like, "What is `Cob` Construction?".

Steve Sibert

The process is very simple, you can start experimenting with it now.
It reached its peak use in Germany I think. (It is still widely used
there and has been for hundreds of years). Here's how to do it.

1. Get some straw and put it in a pile.
2. Mix clay to the consistency of a milk shake with water.
3. Pour the "milk shake" over the straw, tossing with rakes or
pitchforks until just lightly coating the straw.
4. Place in between boards and tamp with a 2x4 or 4x4. (about 3-4 ft.
long)
5. Move the boards up immediately and stuff some more.
6. Allow the wall to dry. (Time varies by climate)
7. Plaster inside and out with soft plaster
8. Use a water resistant plaster on the outside.

The clay is not too critical, anything from 40-50% clay soil all the way
up to all clay will work (at least in my experiments). You don't need to
add sand. Save the sand for the plaster.

Mostly post and beam construction is used and boards on each side of the
posts make up the "form" to stuff the staw-clay into. Walls can be 6
inches to 18 inches or more, thick walls take longer to dry.

That's about it.

I like this approach. It is superior to staw-bale. The only problem is
that roofs are still expensive. I am working on a system that allows the
straw-clay system to make domes and build the roof at the same time from
the same material. Then you can really reduce the cost of housing. Just
ferrocement in inner and outer shells and you have a really strong
structure!

Steve J. Sibert

*