cob in patio wall

Janet Moore moore at usa.net
Wed Sep 4 08:27:09 CDT 1996

At 01:59 PM 9/1/96 -0700, Shannon Dealy wrote:

>It all depends on what you mean by weather proofing,  if you put a good
>roof over the wall and foundation under it, the wall can last for hundreds
>of years, on the other hand if you leave the top exposed to the weather
>(no roof), a thick wall may still last decades, depending on your climate.
>You can of course get better life out of either condition by plastering
>or painting, providing that the plaster or paint are maintained.

Thanks, Shannon, for the insights. The type of wall I was thinking of would
be unroofed; not a wall for a structure but an outdoor wall maybe 6 feet
high, in lieu of a fence, the kind of thing you might use to enclose a
courtyard.

What alternatives are available for a foundation for a wall like this? Would
it require the same foundation as a house wall (lots of concrete)? Is there
a formula for a weather-resistant plaster? I live in a fairly dry climate
(Southern Colorado), but we occasionally get fierce thunderstorms.

I sure appreciate you setting up this mail list, Shannon. It will be a great
learning experience!

Janet

Janet Moore
City of Pueblo Dept. of Planning & Development
201 E. D Street, Pueblo, CO 81003
719-543-6006
fax 719-543-0572
moore at usa.net