quick and dirty adobe floor.

SSS Alive sssalive at primenet.com
Sun Sep 8 16:22:46 CDT 1996

Sand acts as an aggregate, and the clay the binder.  Without sand, you will
probably get excessive cracking.  Every clay is different.  Try some
experimental patches first, for both your floor, and plaster, to determine
how much sand.  Start with 25 to 30% clay-to-sand, and maybe add some
chopped straw or horse or cow dung.  You can get a great finished floor over
your gravel base with a couple 1 inch thick layers of adobe soil, troweled
flat, and sealed with 4 coats linseed.  First coat- pure boiled linseed oil,
heated up so it penetrates.  Second coat- 25% thinner, 75% linseed, third
coat- 50/50, fourth and subsequent maintenance coats- 75/25.  The Steens
made a beautiful floor this way, and I'm going to use it for my top coat
(over a straight adobe subbase), as well.  This is a good way to seal adobe
plaster too.  If you don't want to mess with the adobe, you might try mixing
psyllium seeds with your crushed gravel, wetting, and tamping.  The psyllium
seeds make the gravel bind together great, and is commonly used for outdoor
sports surfaces with crushed granite.

Hope this helps,

Steve Kemble, P.E.
Sustainable Systems Support