Natural (clay) plaster recipe

Eric D. Hart erichart at mtn.org
Tue Sep 24 11:44:41 CDT 1996

At 11:28 PM 9/23/96 -0400, patrick newberry wrote:

>>Natural Plaster, (from Robert LaPorte's Moose Prints)
>>
>>Rough Coat:
>>	1 part creamy clay slip (from site or mixed water and clay)
>>	2 parts medium sand
>>	1/2 part fiber (chopped straw)
>>

> What about dried blood or lime (type-n)
>I willl more than likely use the recipe on at least of the walls  as  I
>would rather not have to buy anything unless It really makes a significant
>difference.
        I don't think there is any need to add dried blood (gross!) or lime
to the mix.  If you do, you need to experiment with it as I don't have any
recipes for a clay/lime stucco.  Lime might add some water proofing
characteristics that you may need in soggy Georgia.  What you could do is
put the clay plaster on now and if you see the need for water proofing, then
you could 'white wash' the wall with a very thin lime plaster.  I don't have
a white wash recipe handy at the moment.  Hope this helps.

Eric Hart