Hello? Is this thing on? (tap-tap-tap)

M J Epko duckchow at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 7 23:50:42 CDT 1996

Hi Jacque & Eric, thanks.

and Eric Hart wrote:

>   I didn't get the previous message you sent, unless I completely forgot
>about it.  For nearly a week I only got a few messages from the cob list
>(mostly from Patrick) so am wondering if the listserv was haywire.  Send the
>message that never came back to you.  Thanks.

*

        I re-sent the lost one, and it has now shown up in my mailbox from
the deatech majordomo coblist magic hat thing. Whatever was wrong seems to
have corrected itself.

Continuing quotes from Jacque:
>  I also have two mail failures posted from the postmaster to the strawbale
>listserv.

        I got those, too. I think those were due to a faulty address or a
full mailbox, the bane of a sysop. (Right, Shannon? Or haven't you been
fortunate enough to have to deal with that very much yet?) (JoE does a great
job over there on the SB list, and deserves a lot more thanks than he gets,
I think.)

>  I also did not receive my son's email-he finally phoned today to check on
>why I wasn't responding.

>So what's up?

        Could be the internet collapsing on itself. I only recently learned
that emails are sent in bits of individually-identified information (part
one, part two, part three, etc), and that each bit can take a different
route to the destination. The switchers just send stuff along the path of
least resistance, and if a piece of info for some reason gets lost or
wrecked, the receiving computer (in my case, Netcom Minneapolis) doesn't
ever get the complete message and it never shows as received.
        As the 'net gets more & more busy, the chances of misrouted or
damaged info increases. Which is not to imply that I don't strongly suspect
that my server isn't completely to blame.

        Well, that's enough cob talk for today, eh?   ;)

*

       M J Epko    duckchow at ix.netcom.com
        http://www.netcom.com/~duckchow/