Asphalt Emulsion Stabilizers

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Oct 8 05:59:39 CDT 1996

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, M J Epko wrote:

> At 09:23 PM 10/6/96 -0400, Pat Newberry wrote:

[SNIP]

>         "When these specimens are dry, immerse them in a pail of clear, cold
> water for six hours or so. (Shannon! - that's where I got that weird dunk
> test thing from!) If the samples do not soften or discolor, the amount of
> stabilizer is correct. If the sample bricks take up water or soften
> appreciably, new ones should be made using up to three quarts of emulsion to
> a cubic foot of dry [mix]."
>
>         That said, I think I'd personally avoid using it - an unneccessary
> expense and extra work - and instead design the roof with ample overhang,
> providing small-but-usable sheltered outside storage, work and leisure areas.

[SNIP]

I would avoid using it also, it seems to me that this is fixing a
non-problem.  If you need this approach to making adobe/cob, then it says
to me that there is something wrong with the design of the building that
is allowing a large quantity of moisture to come in contact with the
walls and remain there.

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com