Good Roof & Bad Sauna

Dan Wooley dwooley at mo-net.com
Fri Oct 11 00:46:33 CDT 1996

A few days ago M J Epko[SMTP:duckchow at ix.netcom.com] wrote:
>. I should more accurately have said "like the outline >of the top view of a snail shell." Like a
>hastily-drawn circle whose beginning and end don't >match. Like a stylized"G". Just yer standard vaguely >elliptic almost-circle.

Hi MJ
You have described the home design we have been working on--based on the "golden mean"--beginning with a 48' radius, then 29.6', then 18.3' etc. If we're going to use such a facile and pliant material as sb or cob, we thought we should curve and bend and such and stretch the materials envelope to the max. We know how to roof the spiral house (~2000 ft) with shingles, membrane, etc, but instead wish to use metal without the waste of cutting each shingle or piece of decking or sheet of metal. We have not figured out how to build a spiral (in plan) house with a square metal roof, so have almost resigned ourselves to straight lines and square corners. Is anyone on the list who can suggest solutions? Or provide fee consulting on this plan?

Thanks
Dan Wooley
dwooley at mo-net.com