"Hello? Is this thing on?" and other thoughts

Becky Myton bmyton at ccmail.uwsa.edu
Mon Oct 14 09:05:13 CDT 1996

MJ,

Got your message fine. Hope the house is going well!

Now for other miscellanea:

I was reading a few months ago in a library book about historic building
techniques in England (17th century time period). The question often comes
up on the strawbale list about why and whether to put animal blood in adobe
floors. My gut reaction was always "ICK!", but this book said the English
used to do that, also, because it created a very hard surface on the floor.
So the people who talk of glazing with linseed oil probably have a good
alternative.

Those English builders also used to lay fresh reeds over the support beams
for the second story floors before the boards were laid down, and then
plaster both sides of the reeds (as with wattle boards). The reeds held the
plaster on nicely, and apparently functioned well as a sound barrier
between floors, too! Anyone think cattails might work?

Becky Myton