fire

Eric D. Hart erichart at mtn.org
Sat Nov 30 13:26:10 CST 1996

At 07:23 AM 11/26/96 +0000, goshawk at gnat.net wrote:
>Last night my strawbale buidling was burnt to the ground.
>We had not finished plastering the wall yet.
        Sorry to hear about your mishap!  :-(   How did the fire start?
Finding out how it started would help us to avoid the problem in the future
and cause less worry for people building.

>Our intition was to build a cob extention onto the trailer where the
>fire initally caught, we have decieded to go ahead and build or main
>structure instead of this imtermediate trailer/cob building.
>We plan on using cob.
>One MAIN reason is because of the fire resestance of cob.
        Cob and strawbale are just as fire proof when completed but the
strawbale is lots more flammable during the construction phase.  Cob is a
good solution for your climate, I wouldn't try it up here where it gets cold.

Eric D. Hart
Community Eco-design Network
Minneapolis, MN  USA
(612) 305-2899