daub vs. cob

Paul Valerio valeri at io.com
Fri Dec 6 06:16:50 CST 1996

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know about "wattle and daub"?  After learning about "cob"
recently, it occured to me that the house my mother grew up in England
must have been a cob house because I know it has thick walls, a thatched
roof, and is very old ( apparently almost 400 years old ).

I asked my mother about it, but she didn't have a clue!  ( Duh, somebody
kick me in the head - I could have built a cob house years ago and been
living debt free all this time!) I then wrote to my 93 year old granny
in England and she responded that the house was built using wattle and
daub.  The dictionary says "wattle" is a framework of timber and "daub"
refers to the mud/straw mix.

So the question is concerning "daub" vs. "cob".  Is it all the same or
not?

Paul V.