Wattle and Daub (fwd)

Adam Aaron Weiss aaweiss at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 6 18:22:48 CST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:37:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Adam Aaron Weiss <aaweiss at darkwing.uoregon.edu>
To: valeri at io.com
Subject: Wattle and Daub

Paul,

Wattle and daub is a different technique than cob. Cob, according to my
understanding, uses the earth straw mix to form the structure of the
house. Wattle and daub uses wattle: bundled sticks, tied
together with reeds etc. to form the structure which is then plastered with
daub: an earth, straw,
mud mix.  I learned this when I was doing archaeology of colonial America
in college.  My professor Jim Deetz, who could give you a much more accurate
and
precise definition, is now at the University of Virginia and I'm sure
would welcome your call or e-mail.  He's one of the kindest, funniest
generally greatest people on earth.  So feel free to give him a call.
Unfortunately you'll have to search out his number and address on your
own.  But hey, just call the UVA anthropology Department in
Charlottesville and they'll hook you up.

Hope this helps,

Adam Weiss
aaweiss at darkwing.uoregon.edu
541-687-9158