where the wall and the foundation meet.

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Dec 18 23:24:38 CST 1996

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996 goshawk at gnat.net wrote:

> I've been talking about doing my foundation in rock.
> I'm thinking that I need to put a break between the cob/wall and the
> stone/foundation/stem wall
> I quess one could paint some ashpalt emulsion or such to make the
> break.
> Do  the folks at the cob  cottage put a break between the foundations
> and the cob?
[SNIP]

No they don't.  So far as I am aware the only point of putting a break
between the foundation and the wall is to prevent moisture migration from
the ground through the foundation and into the wall.  If you are building
a rock wall about one foot above grade, then that should provide an
adequate moisture break (assuming that you have provided adequate
perimeter drainage around the foundation).

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com