answers to just checkin in

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Wed Feb 5 01:38:24 CST 1997

Well Cal-Earth is located in Hesperia California
(high desert area outside of Los Angeles)

Boy what a change from this Georgia weather.

The structure we are building is in the 2,400 sq ft range
It will consist of 11 domes with the largest being 22 feet
accross

My wife is a bit concerned with having a round room and
square furniture so I've made the rooms a bit larger than
if they were square (sort of big enouph to fit the
square in the circle)

I'm thinking of addding a wind catcher which is basicly
like a venting chiminey.

Our electric company is running the power lines for free
but we had to sign a paper saying we would have all
electric appliances. I'm kind of fugding here because
I will put in what they refer as appliances e.g. a stove
and a heat pump, but I plan on trying to design the house
so the I don't need to utilize the heat pump very much.
I will have to have some sort of wood heating source
because there is so much wood just laying on the ground here
I cook out side most of the summer because it's quite hot and
don't want to heat up the house any more than we have too.

I've got the floor plan done already but I still trying to deciede on
the floor itself. First I was going to have a raised wood floor
because that is the tradition in the south east (for traditional
houses) I like poured adobe but with all the humitity that may not be
feasable. I kind of like some kind of brick floor with lots of throw
rugs. Well if any of you have any idea for floors send em on out.
criteria: speed, cost and ease, (oh yea looks) I know every thing is a
trade off.

(land is very sandy soil, with hot humid summers and mild winters)
(and they have these little tiny gnats which are very active in the
summer)

Latter folks

Pat & Carroll in Georgia.
"If you don't have enouph madness in you, go and rehabilitate yourself" - Rumi