Laporte

Kat Morrow katmorrow at zianet.com
Wed Feb 19 18:35:04 CST 1997

>>And Robert LaPorte knows little or nothing about cob construction.  His
>>expertise (or obsession, depending on how you look at it) is in *light clay*
>>construction which is a different technique altogether from cob
>>construction.  Clay and straw are mixed together and tamped into forms which
>>form the non-loadbearing walls of a timber frame structure. The walls are
>>supposed to breathe and be inexpensive (albeit very labor intensive) to
>>build.

the need to defend a couple of positions.  First, Robert Laporte is very
good at what he does, is indeed a master timber-framer and has built some
incredible light straw/clay homes (one of which resides less 100 yards from
where I write).  I can't vouch for his cob expertise but he does know his
materials, and is good at natural mud plasters and floors (let's see, that
means clay, sand and straw...)  Second, the actual labor involved in the
process of building  the walls of a straw/clay building is less than that of
a cob wall but you need to have your frame in place.  Building an entire
structure out of cob is very labor intensive, though very rewarding,
especially if you mix the cob the traditional way advocated by the Cob
Cottage Company.  Mixing the cob in large pits or with tractor helps, but
one can still only raise a wall so far each day, depending on your weather
conditions.

>> The pamphlet "Mooseprints" is only good for 'this is why light clay
>>construction is great' and is not a how-to book.  I guess you are supposed
>>to take his workshops to find out how to do it.  Its not much more than a
>>pamphlet and is published by LaPorte (so wouldn't be in Books In Print).

Both the booklets published about cob and straw/clay have good basic
information, both on the why and some how-to, about the building method and
are good to have if one is interested in either method.  If one is really
serious about using either method for a building, then consider taking a
workshop.  Spending a few hundred dollars and a week (a week will provide
you with infinitely greater awareness of the process than a few hours or
even a weekend) with experienced builders (both Cob Cottage Company and
Robert Laporte run great workshops, as well as many others) will give a
basis for starting a building as well joining a network of like-minded
builders that are always willing to help out and share knowledge. These
methods of building are as much about the learning process and community as
they are about providing a wonderful space.

The natural building movement is about creating community and a cohesiveness
among people who are looking for different ways to do things, to find ways
to live more lightly on this planet.  A big part of this is understanding
and respecting that within this movement there are many varying views and
ways of achieving the end result.  Until recently, natural builders were
fairly isolated and the word was spreading slowly, now the momentum is
gaining and the word is getting out. We can try to be supportive of each
other and unite instead of remaining as small, isolated islands of knowledge.