Building your house and being organized

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Sun Apr 20 11:52:25 CDT 1997

> Date:          Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:34:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          "Shannon C. Dealy" <dealy at deatech.com>
> To:            coblist at deatech.com
> Subject:       Nader Khalili (fwd)

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:34:11 -0400 (EDT)
.My wife and I were sitting down the other day attempting to get this
task of building our house in to some kind of perspective so we can
begin the actual  process of  building.  Going to workshops and such
are very good ways to get ready and to expand your  knowledge and
skills but eventually the day comes when it is time to build. The
task can sometimes feel overwhelming. I know that my wife and I are
up the task but at the same time I know  it is going to be a major
event in our lives. I remember Nader telling me that we would not be
the same people when we finished our house.

Now  most forms of earth building are labour intensive They also lend
themselves to flexible work schedules:  if you plan in advance. For
example  always keep a pit of cob ready so you can for even an hour
or two a day.   I feel the cob  works best when it has had a chance to sit for a bit before being
worked. I work at home and often will only have an hour or two that I
can put into the  house. If my  building material is prepared in
advance then I can go down an load up the old  wheel barrel  and work for an
hour or two.

Now what about getting help in either the form of friends and
neighbours or hell you might even try to put on your own
mini-workshops and include some general instructions to go  along with the
"hands on" experience.  Regardless, you will need to be even more
organized in this case.  When working with a crew of folks you need
to put some folks to work just making sure that the folks who are
building have everything they need. (keep that cob a coming). Maybe
you need to keep two pits going, one to work from and one soaking and
getting  ready.

Now building with earth is an inherently organic process. Leave
production schedules and such to the building developers. Yes you
need to get done but take the time as you are building to stop and
think is there anything I want to add or change. We actually plan on
cooking a meal in our "kitchen" when only the foundation is in place.
We want to get the "feel" of the room. Then we can say let's add a
cubby hole here to put spices or something. Because building with
earth is such an organic process you can almost grow a house rather
than build it. It grows as  you get ideas while building and takes
advantage of earth's flexibility.

Now we live in a rather rural setting and live in a one room
trailer. We anticipate (hopefully!) that some folks might want to
spend the weekend working and learning and sharing. Thus we want to
add some fun in the works too. Don't burn out the help. I think I've
heard the cob folks sometimes play music when making cob. Great idea.
We plan on cooking lots of good food and having bon fires and nights
to socialize. Keep some musical instruments on hand. A little singing
and dancing after a day of building can be wonderful. This is a
good time to talk out ideas that may have occurred while working
during the day. Adding a little fun helps encourage folks  to come
back and help again. Plus it  is keeping in the spirit of building
with earth.

My wife came up with a good idea. She plans on taking the photo of
everyone who helps out and in our central dome (a 22 foot diameter
earth dome) she will circle the whole thing with photos of these
folks building.  We called it the circle of hearts because it will
represent all the people who made the dream possible. Building is
what forms community and community is what I think a lot of us are
looking for today. Community with each other and Community with
Mother Earth.

See you'all  at the clay pit.

Pat and Carroll Newberry
Mauk, Georgia.

"If you don't have enouph madness in you, go and rehabilitate yourself" - Rumi