Dry mixing of soil cement

Johe Saunders josaunders at sprintmail.com
Thu May 1 18:31:39 CDT 1997

Since I started the topic on soil cement I'll continue
the story, but it's going to be empty.

I am a construction worker in Central Florida.  The
single usage of the material I observed when a "pan"
(a combination grader with a rotary delivery system
to an on board holding bin) was laying it down on a
sandy road prior to its being layered and rolled with
lime followed by asphalt.

The operator told me he was laying down soil cement
at 10% to stabilize a sandy substrate of fines.  He
said morning moisture and rolling would tighten the
surface and serve to make the lime lift easier to
control.

I thought the subject of soil cement in this forum
might spark some thoughts amoung those who are
interested in stabilizing a mixture of earth which
may need "help".

Of course dry mixing Portland with earth requires
work and a machine is in order.

If I were to try soil cement I would use my morter
mixer, the soil would have to be sifted first and be
of low moisture content.  I guess I would use a 10%
by volume proportion for starters.

I recall a job once where a remodeling of a building
within 150' of a lake was being stopped by the
county on account of a deep footing trench not having
the intergrity of holding its shape.  The general
contractor called in a sub who injected the sand with
"something".  The result was that sand became like a
solid, enabling shovelers to carve a good footing
trench 8'deep in places.  What that material was I
don't know. I was impressed though with the way the
sand became so shovel manageable.