Relevant URLs

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Mon May 5 19:04:47 CDT 1997

> There was a program on tv today about alternative buildings in a place in
> California, I think the name of the town was Hesperia. Just caught the very
> end of the show... Did anyone else see this or know about this building
> method.....?

The show as more than likely about Nader Kalili's  place in Hisperia.
In actuallity Nader advocates and researches a variety of building
meathods. He is interested in helping people build their own houses
using less wood, resources etc.
He seems to get the biggest publisity with his "superAdobe" method.
Even thought the core of what I am building is based on his
technique, I prefer to say I am building with Earth since I use cob
techiques, superadobe techniques and even some strawbale techniques.
but basicly the superadobe is very similiar to rammed earth. The form
in this case is a sandbag which of course remains in place. Using
corbeling techniques one can then build earth domes a bit faster and
easier then trying to build a earth dome without them. The bags are
plastered (stabilized earth, earth plaster cement etc.) (depending on
local weather conditions. I have tossed around the idea of putting a
more traditional roof over the dome so that it would be protected
from rainfall (direct) and allow the use of a more natural earth
plaster on inside and out with worry about the heavy rainfall we have
here in Georgia.

I can provide more info if this isn't enouph. I'v posted some info
on this forum before and don't want to be too redundant.

Hope this helped!

PS,

I digging my foundation for my earth domes and am getting ready to
dig the septic drain pipes trenches. What is the minimum slope for
septic drain pipe?

Yea it feels good to start building!!!!

Pat,
Mauk Georgia.

"If you don't have enouph madness in you, go and rehabilitate yourself" - Rumi