Kitchen Design

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Thu May 8 18:25:00 CDT 1997

Hi  Cobers,

In working out a potential design for a Cob home, I find the kitchen /
food preparing area the most challenging. I would like to build a
thermal mass refrigerator as well as a solar oven. Thus part of it must
be on the North side (refrigerator) and part on the South side for the
solar oven to work.  Since it is used early in the morning it should
have a view to the East. This will give it light in the morning and some
passive heat. It will also reduce the late afternoon direct heat
(Western view).

Other considerations are:

1. Proximity to eating area,
2. Working in the kitchen and not being cut off from others,
3. View of the great outdoors,
4. Insulating the refrigerator & freezer from the rest of the house,
5. Kitchen sink greywater recycling into an interior planter, located
near Southern windows..

I would be interested in comments or suggestions "creative ideas" etc...

Regards,
Will