coblist: Non-member submission from [aumomtod at lava.net (Kanaka Makua)] (fwd)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu May 22 15:26:52 CDT 1997

>From aumomtod at lava.net Thu May 22 12:43:01 1997
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:44:49 -1000
To: erdman at lava.net (Bill L. Howes)
From: aumomtod at lava.net (Kanaka Makua)
Subject: Re: Kitchen Design
Cc: coblist at deatech.com, coblist at deatech.com

Aloha,

Bill Howes sent your communications for my review 'cause he knows that I am
having some success with my situation.

As long as your homestead is situated with respect for the global & local
conditions; you, I think, have it!

Even as some Eastern guru may advise to eat your foods natural & uncooked
without putting so much attention into your kitchen; I may add that while
this may be part of an idealzed transition, we still have to go through the
steps to get there.

For my situation:  I researched the lay-out from illustrations of ancient
habitation sites of Hawai'i nei. The correct location; not too close to the
shore & not too high on the steep slopes seems optimum.  The habitation
structures must be an intregal part of the site, surrounded by
garden/Permaculture. Check out our Pupukea pg. & link to Hon. Star Bull.
article. I am Bill's VP for the N.S. Country Market & the 'other guy' in
the article.

http://www.lava.net/~erdman/

My geodesic dome (set up to be some analog of the planet, an 'earth ship',
satisfies my navigator/warrior/priest(kahuna) sense of positioning &
security [like a compass rose & a zodiac] has its kitchen & restroom w/
plumbing on the S. to S.W. (a pipe breaks & is fixed easily with out
rotting the house on the sunny side).  Kitchen on the down wind side has
cooking odors &/or smoke blow out of the house.   Natural light shows when
food is its correct color in preparation/cooking. Also edible sprouts grow
well in kitchen window.  My electric range is free standing ( like a
chemistry lab table ). No oven. A toaster or toaster-oven serves well w/
the capability of stove top roaster & cast iron ware for skillet (sautee) &
caseroles/stews.

Vegetable/herb garden [& compost pile fed from kitchen scraps] is on sunny
side of the house & convenient to the kitchen. Cess pool & grey water (may
be diverted to bananas) are down slope from plumbing in the house. All
utilities are in an underground trench & down slope from my primary access
road. House is as distant as possible from roads & surounded by trees that
seclude from view of other houses & roads. Long driveway, of crushed coral
(a nutralizing mineral) may seem expensive to construction cost estimates,
yet has many long term benefits.

Bird (chickens [some blue egg types] ducks & guinea fowl) range of 800'
fenced in welded bally wire also encloses pond construction/ water
retention/aquaculture site. Shade & margin plants for pond obtain.
Companion planted crafts wood/nitrogen fixers compliment seed &
annual/perennial greens/vegetables/grains for folks & utility animals.

Please check out this site for x-tra info.
http://www.shareintl.org/

>>Sender: owner-coblist at deatech.com
>>From: Will Firstbrook  WCB of BC <<coblist at deatech.com>
>>To: "coblist at deatech.com" <coblist at deatech.com>
>>Subject: Re: Kitchen Design
>>Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:09:00 -0700
>>Sender: owner-coblist at deatech.com

My "sir name" is close to a Bible reference that I have; "Except it be corban,
a gift" (to a temple) "not taxable by priest or king."