Sunday morning ramblings

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Sun Jun 8 04:58:23 CDT 1997

Boy I have discovered one thing, I think I'm going to be really
strong after we finish building this house.

 I'm working on the center dome (22ft 8in diameter earth dome).
Actually I'm still in the foundation part of it. Basically that means
stabilized earth (aka my sandy soil mixed with cement (about 20 %)).
I remember being concerned that  when building with cob that the
fact that it's difficult to go more than a foot high could slow me
down. Ha ha. At least with the size of house we're building that
really seems funny now.

I'll be glad when I get the six inches or so above ground and can
drop the cement. It's not as much of a pleasure to work with as clay
and ain't so good for the skin either.

One area I'm still knocking around is what type of floor I should use
for these earth domes. I'm a little nervous that I'm building but
have not made up my mind on that part of the house yet.  I hope I
don't end up  regretting  not having pre-planned the floor. Cost and
weather will be the determining factors. (oh yea and skill too).

There is a Jim Walter Home just down the dirt road from us. In case
you're not familiar with these houses, they are kind of a small
rural version of a trac  house. The house is on 5 acres and a new
sign went up that is was for sale. It had been abandonded by some
previous owner a couple of years ago.  The sign also stated they were
asking for $600 down and the rest  was negociable. We stopped in
to take a look. I'm not sure but I think my wife was thinking of our
17 year old son but that's another story. Upon entering the unlocked
door  we discovered the sheet rock walls had incredible amounts of
mold from the base of the floor to about 3 to 4 feet from this  base.
The ceiling and upper portion of the walls seemed fine.
Well since I am knocking around what type of floor to put in my earth
dome house I figured I should pay attention as not to repeat the same
mistakes.

The was your very basic stick house sitting on foundation/stem wall
of concrete blocks. It was off the ground about 2 to 3 feet. There
were  some metal  ventilation  place in the blocks but my
own personal opinion is that they were not  enough. Plus they
probably didn't lay any plastic in the ground under the house and
didn't have any insulation under the house/floor boards. Thus the
very humid air around here simply has been traveling up from the
ground, through the floor boards and thee  was absorbed by the mostly
unpainted sheet rock. Mold then set in.

Key thing to remember here is what ever type of floor I come up
with, I'd better account for a potential moisture problem.  How have
some of you folks dealt with the problem of humid damp climates and
cob houses? I'm planning to add some air ducts made from 4 inch
plastic pipe. The air vents will lead from the floor, under the
ground out into the woods some where. The big dome will  have a
18 foot ceiling, so with some vents located near the top and the
vents in the floor I should get some air flow during our long hot
humid summers.

Well it's down the hill and back to work. Got to work those muscles.

Pat.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arther C Clark