Plaster recipe

Andrew Alcorn aalcorn at arch.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 3 18:07:15 CDT 1997

Robert, I enjoyed your message, but have a couple of queries.

You said:
 The recipe is as
>>follows: Into a mortar mixer we dumped:
>>2 buckets of clay slip
>>7 buckets of sand
>>1 bucket of chopped straw
>>Water as needed

Details of the clay slip? Any idea how much , by weight or volume, clay was
mixed with how much water? Or do you have a casual or accurate idea of the
viscosity of the slip?

You mentioned using wheat paste but there is no mention of it in the
recipe. [?]
Do you (or anyone else out there) have knowledge of the performance of
wheat paste in the long term? As an organic product, does it begin to
decompose? Go mouldy? Mould is a definite problem here in NZ when linseed
oil is used on earth plasters or earth walls in exterior locations.
Anyone got comments?