Vapour barrier needed?

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Thu Jul 10 16:52:34 CDT 1997

Hi Tim,

Good questions! I am also very interested in Cob although we are planing
on building in a not so cold area. I have never seen any cob houses that
have a vapor barrier in the walls nor the roof.  I do know that some
Mexican adobe structures that were covered in a plaster in order to
restore them actually cased significant damage. As it created a vapor
barrier that caused deterioration inside the wall. My understanding is
that cob needs to breathe. It can absorb quite a bit of moisture and
pass it through the wall. Sometimes vapor barriers cause more problems
then they are worth.

One could turn the question around, what is the benefit of a vapor
barrier? I thought the main benefit is to eliminate /reduce drafts thus
make the home more energy efficient. If that is one of the main reasons
then it is not needed. I doubt that your going to feel a draft through
an 18" to 24" cob wall. In England where there are thousands of cob
houses over 300 years old, I would expect,  that have no vapor barriers
in that wet climate.

Regarding frost I would expect you want the cob to be relatively dry
before the first frost of the winter/fall. At least on the outside of
the structure as long as the inside is kept warmer.

I am attending a Cob workshop next week and I will try to get an opinion
and some advice on these questions.

Regards,
Will