Cob Zoning . . .

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Aug 1 05:25:38 CDT 1997

> Cob buildings have received agricultural building permits (i.e. you're not
> supposed to live in it though people do anyway), but I am not aware of any
> cob buildings in the U.S. that were built using a regular residential
> building permit.  In some areas, no permits are required, in other areas
> some people decide to go renegade and don't bother with the permits.

My earth/cob/superadobe house is a residential permitted house. But
there is a catch. To get a permit here you don't have to say what you
are building it from, only the square footage. The only inspection
required was for the septic tank. The electric company required I
have a permit (building) which cost $25. We have no city type water,
only wells which must be 100 feet from septic tank. The bad news is
they are talking about changing this and getting real building
inspectors etc. That is why I rushed out and got a permit BEFORE this
could occur so I could be legal. (I doubt that would have stopped me)
Pat
Mauk, Georgia
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arther C Clarke