Cob more straw in cob=more insulation?; sun tubes

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Mon Aug 25 19:06:36 CDT 1997

> From:          "Vernon B. Johnston" <vajohnston at nas.com>
> To:            <coblist at deatech.com>
> Subject:       Cob more straw in cob=more insulation?; sun tubes
> Date:          Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:54:03 -0700

>.  The rock foundation is just about finished, =
> and I am about ready to apply the cob.

It's a good feeling, ain't it.

>  In leiu of using straw bales for the north side of the house, I am =
> thinking of adding more straw to the cob mixture, and making the wall =
> thicker in that area.  I would hope that I would get more insulation =
> value with the added straw.  Does this make sense?

Sound a bit like light clay. there is a German word that begins with
a "L " but I can't remember it.  The clay is applied to the straw by
pouring a clay slip over the straw. In this manner it can be pressed
into forms a bit like rammed earth. It's the air spaces in the straw
that really give the insulation so one must consider that.

Does anyone have any real data?
(or experience)
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities,
 but in the expert's there are few."
                                    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind