Cob Ener-Grid?

coblist Conference @ txinfinet.com XINCLXcoblist at txinfinet.com
Wed Sep 17 17:50:30 CDT 1997

Ener-Grid is a WALL FORM product whose cores are filled with reinforced
concrete.  The Energrid material itself does not have a very high compressive
strength, relying upon the reinf. conc. for structural integrity.  I would be
very concerned about using this product as a stem wall since cob is VERY
heavy, and parts of the cob wall would be bearing on the foam parts of the
Ener-Grid rather than the concrete.  This could present a real problem,
especially at the inside and outside edges.  Also, I doubt you could get
enough lateral stability (to resist wind loads, etc.) with the Energrid.  And
from a functional standpoint, Ener-Grid comes in large rectilinear pieces and
would not work well at all with the curvilinear forms that are possible and
structurally advantageous with cob.

--

Gayle Borst
gayle_borst at greenbuilder.com
Sustainable Building Calendar at http://www.greenbuilder.com
Sustainable Sources - Internet Solutions with an Environmental Perspective
          info at greenbuilder.com      BBS  512.462.0633
              Telnet://fc.greenbuilder.com:3000
              WWW  http://www.greenbuilder.com/