Cob test bricks

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Sep 19 18:48:21 CDT 1997

> <BR>Got a question. We made several test bricks with the soil we would
> like to use to build our cob home.  They turned out very strong.
> It seemed as if we were on the right track.  Then we got a heavy rain,
> and we left the bricks out in the rain.  Upon checking the bricks
> after the rain we were dissappointed to see that the bricks had become
> soft and crumbly.  This was after they had dried completly after the
> rain.  We are wondering what may have caused this.

1.) what size did you make your bricks? (a cob wall will be much
stronger than a single test brick)

 2.) most cob building depend on have wide overhangs to help
protect the cob.

3) cob and every building medium has strengths and weaknesses. Learn
them both.

Pat

Mountain climbers always rope themsselves together,
Probably to prevent the sensible ones from going home.