Cob cob/adobe

Benton J. Miller and Phyllis Ramirez phillis at itlnet.net
Thu Oct 2 21:36:52 CDT 1997

<HTML>
Hi all!
<BR>We just returned from a fact finding trip to Taos,N.M.  We were
looking at different earth structures from in and around that area.
The "earthships" were very interesting.  Many wonderful adobe structures.
The Pueblos were wonderful also.
<BR>My question:  Has anyone ever seen a mixture of cob/adobe used
in building?  Our idea is (we are still in the planning stages) to
use cob for the front of our home, to acieve a graceful, sculptured look.
Then run abode down each side and along the back of the house.  The
inside patio would be done with adode also.  How can we tie-in the
adobe to the cob?
<BR>Also, the adobe doesnt seem to need long overhangs to protect it from
weather.  Why does cob?  We want the standard roof of southwestern
adobe(without overhangs), but will that work with cob?  Is it all
in the plaster that is used on the finished building?
<BR>We would love to hear from anyone with ideas, and we love the list!!!!!!!
<BR>Earth people,
<BR>Benton and Phyllis
<BR> </HTML>