Cob and building in Hawai'i

Tim A Dysinger timdysinger at juno.com
Mon Oct 6 00:27:52 CDT 1997

>On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 TonyBosMa at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Dear Cob Friends,
>>  I am inspired by the revival of cob, for which you are mostly
responsible
>> for. I bought your video and plan to take a class in the spring of
1998. I am
>> unsure, however, about the building codes for such homes. Me and my
partner
>> see great potentional for us to really have a sacred home. We would
like to
>> build on some land in Hawaii.  I have not had any responses from the
building
>> code authorities there. To your knowledge, is this an "unacceptable"
type of
>> construction for homes in the U.S. ?
>>            Thank You,
>>               Anthony Olivieri

Hello there,

	I've lived in Hawai'i for several years.  Let me tell you what I
know about the area and how it relates to cob.  First of all the building
officials are working very hard in Hawai'i to emulate the coding of
California (minus any progressiveness).   The only building codes allowed
are the ones that require you to ship in your own "standard" lumber from
the states (very expensive).  Also, due to recent (eniki) hurricanes
building officials have cracked down on renegade housing.  There are
almost no exceptions.  I've seen people kicked out of their hand-built
homes by force even on the outer more rural islands all in the name of
protecting us from ourselves.
	Secondly, is the earth.  I'm not a expert soil-scientist, but
I've NEVER seen any clay at all on any island in Hawai'i.... making cob
impossible.
	Thirdly is the climate and pests.  The tropical rain and humidity
of the islands makes any house directly on the ground a real pain in the
butt.  Most people in the rainy sections have their house up on posts.
The humidity will literally grow mold on your walls and over your clothes
in the closet.  I'd hate to see what a tropical rain storm would do to a
cob house.

	Bamboo is your best bet in Hawai'i.  There isn't any practical
indigenous house building techniques in Hawai'i.  The natives used
hard-wood timber-framed huts thatched with thousands of leaves.  (Not
really practical for 2 million people presently living there.)   You'll
have to have an architect design it and fight people all the way, but
it's better than cutting down more trees from the northwest.

	Just some thoughts....   P.S.  - Bring lots of money...  There
are no jobs...   Economy in the toilet.... Etc....  :)

Tim Dysinger
timdysinger at juno.com