Cob Builder Handbooks

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Fri Oct 10 11:04:37 CDT 1997

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jlhighland at kktv.com [SMTP:Jlhighland at kktv.com]
...I'm wondering if anyone has read both
Ms. Bee's text (The Cob Builders Handbook)
and Michael Smith's The Cobbers Companion...

I have Michael's book and recently got to browse Misha's copy of Becky Bee's book.  I feel they complement each other extremely well.  The style and manner of presentation is quite different, even though most of the underlying content is the same.
I think this is great - the techniques represented are consistent and the two different presentation styles/manners enable a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds to come to the concepts comfortably.  I plan to get a copy of Becky Bee's book at some point so that I will have more ideas to draw on and both books to share when introducing people to cob building.

I do prefer the modular nature of Michael's book - sections as small as one page can be updated and/or replaced without having to reprint/repurchase the whole thing.  Maybe the next printing of Becky's book will adopt that idea...

John Schinnerer