Cob Building Codes

Michael Saunby mike at chook.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 06:46:35 CDT 1997

> Dear Mr. Bolman;
>
> Seems to me that there has to be a building code test otherwise the
> building just might fall in on someone. Perhaps fighting the building
> department would be easier if some type of portable test was developed
> that could be used for the unique soil conditions of a geographic
> region. That would be more productive than trying to get the building
> codes relaxed when, in fact, in many cases they should not be. A side
> note is that proprietory rights to the test could probably be very
> lucrative. Questions: what tests are used and how are they approved?

Buildings can fall down whatever tests you have.  I don't know
precisely what role building regulations play in the USA but in the UK
the claim is that building regulations exist to protect the public.  I
can see a whole world of difference between constructing a house to
sell to the public, and building a (possibly experimental) structure
to live in yourself. Of course such a building might be impossible to
insure, or to sell when you don't want it anymore.  But if it's made
from cob you could just take the roof off and watch it slowly wash
away!  I'm not saying that in the UK this is possible now, but in
countries  where the freedom to risk your life on mountains and down
caves for sport is taken for granted, a more relaxed view on housing
would not be out of place.

>From a technical point of view, I would have thought that a good cheap
test would be to leave the house empty for 12 months and if no major
faults are found move in.  If they can be built cheaply enough the wait
shouldn't be a major problem.

My own view as an engineer is that regulations should aim to prevent
poor quality or dangerous work, but not prevent innovation, otherwise
you might as well just live your life by a handbook.

Here in Devon some new cob houses are being built.  I don't expect
they are intended as cheap housing though since the old ones are going
for around 100,000 UK pounds a time.  Does anyone know if these are
individually tested?  My guess is that if you are building in an area
with a lot of existing cob it is fair to assume that the soil is
suitable. Saddly it doesn't mean that the technical skills to
build in cob can still be found in the area, people just don't last as
long as cob houses!

--
Michael Saunby