Cob do it yourself building codes

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Thu Oct 16 00:39:20 CDT 1997

> Can you site those specific parts of the code that make the use of clay
> (floors, plasters) illegal?

I had to make a sample of earthen floor which I then handed to my local
code analyst.  He finally permitted my earthen floor.  Of course there was
never any way that an earthen floor would have immediately endangered
anyone.  Their concern is durability - especially if I should sell the
house next year to someone that doesn't know about this stuff.

Presently, I'm trying to get them to accept my earthen plaster (which is
already installed in the interior).  They don't want to permit it.  They
want an "Approved Plaster Product".  In other words, it has to come in a 50
pound sack on the back of a truck from a factory hundreds of miles away.
They're concerned about the expansiveness of the clay where I live - even
though I tell them that it's gone on fine with negligible cracking, etc.

Robert Bolman