Cob cob and cisterns

Lars Fields phlesch at america.net
Sat Oct 25 18:35:28 CDT 1997

Vernon B. Johnston wrote:

<snip>

>     Smaller cob projects seemed within my range for this year, so I built a
> foundation for a cistern and for a sweat.  I hope to have both of them
> completed by the end of November.  If there is interest, I will send more
> info on the cistern at a later date.

i'd appreciate any info on cob and cisterns.

	 this is kind of an aside - maybe pat newberry might know best:  does
anybody know why it is inappropriate to mix straw with clay if one is making
bricks for a fired structure 'a la nader khalili'? i was wondering about
methods for air-entrapment with ceramic structures - i thought maybe firing a
cob structure might result in a strong, water-resistant but relatively
light-weight semi-porous (ie. higher r-value) ceramic structure. or does the
straw expand too much when it is burning, causing the clay/adobe to crack?

	the reason i mention this is that i was wondering whether the steam
from the sweatlodge might saturate the cob with so much moisture that the
building would slump after a while, reducing the strength of the dome. i've
never built anything with cob, i was just curious whether you thought this was
a valid consideration. i'm trying to get a feel for how the material behaves
over time. i would imagine (based on no experience whatsoever) that cob in a
humid environment would act like wax in warm environment - that it would
basically melt, but really slowly. what do y'all think?

	i'm especially interested in the possibilities of using n. khalili's
methods for producing ceramic structures for creating water cisterns or even
methane digesters. or what other ways are available to make airtight/watertight
containers other than metals, plastics or concrete?

thanks
lars fields