Info on Cob cistern and Cob Swauna (sweat:sauna)

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Wed Oct 29 12:00:23 CST 1997

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Vernon B. Johnston [SMTP:vajohnston at nas.com]
<...The other reason that I am willing to bet it will be fine is the synergy created by the use of cement mortar to line the inside of the tank.  Not only do I get a decent liner to keep my water in, I get increased tensile strength.  Anyway, that is what I decided to line the Cob tank with - about a half inch or so of cement mortar, either hung on chicken >wire or metal lath.

You may be aware of this already, but it is the metal reinforcing that provides tensile strength, not the cement/mortar (concrete has high compressive strength, very low tensile strength).  I'd recommend nice heavy chicken wire or even light concrete reinforcing mesh to be sure of plenty of tensile strength - one piece with only one  (vertical) seam/joint would be strongest.  By the way, how big is this cistern volume-of-water-wise?

John Schinnerer