Cob RE: information-seeking

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Wed Nov 26 16:13:49 CST 1997

> >But everything seems to start sort of in the middle in these posts.  It seems
> >to be taken for granted that we all know exactly what cob is.  I don't. <g>

cob is a term that refers to taking clay and sand and straw. the
"cob" is this mixture and is rolled into loafs or balls and placed on
the wall, slowly building it up.

> >Am also some confused by the terms super adobe, stabilized earth and such.
> >I've searched for specific info on these things but if it's out there...

super adobe: actually a misnomer, should be free from rammed earth.
              but hey who am I to say. Any way this technique puts a
             damp earth in a sandbag and then it is pounded down.
             usually used with domes.

Stabilized earth:  mix some cement in with the earth for a concrete
                   like substance.

Rammed earth:     put the moist earth into forms and pound, then
                  remove the forms.

adobe:            earthen bricks dried before building. Used a lot in
                  the south west.

Is that a start?
(the link below will lead you further.)

> >Also, does anyone have the URL to use to get on the straw bale housing
> >newsgroup?

This is the list for the archive:
http://www.crest.org/efficiency/strawbale-list-archive/

this email address I receive strawbale newsgroup information from is
strawbale at crest.org
but I think to subscribe to it you send an email to
the crest.org with the test subscribe strawbale.

Of course you know you are sworn to secrecy with any information you
obtain from the  cob list. We don't don't talk much with those yuppy
bale heads. (just kidding!)

> You might find some of the info you're seeking at sites linked from my 'shelter' page:
>
> http://www.seattleantioch.edu/students/jschinnerer/shelter.html

Great website with loads of useful links and information.

Pat
and the Maukly Crew.
Love and Light
Happy Thanksgiving to all!