Cob Re: cordwood homes

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Mon Dec 1 10:44:26 CST 1997

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Patrick Newberry [SMTP:goshawk at gnat.net]
>While searching this site I saw a cordwood home.
>The mortar look like cement based
>Do they every use cob?
>any other sites or information on this technique?

I'm guessing you followed one of my links to this page:

http://monticello.avenue.gen.va.us/Community/Environ/YellowMtn/workshop/cordwood/

There is at least one book on cordwood building, by Rob Roy, called "Complete Book of Cordwood Masonry Housebuilding; The Earthwood Method."  ISBN: 0806985909

He used to have part of a site of his own, but last time I looked I couldn't find anything live - this was months ago, however...

Cob Cottage Co. has used some log-ends in a building at their "home site" near Cottage Grove, OR.  It is important to note that they used yew wood, which if kept away from standing water will last 100's of years (most wood won't last that long...).  This is by no means a cob-and-cordwood wall; they just happened to have the yew log ends handy and put some in low on the wall as an experiement and for aesthetics.  I've only read about using cement-based mortar with cordwood.  Cordwood in the wall would certainly reduce total thermal mass compared to pure cob, and wood is not very insulative either (although neither is cob...).  Those are two factors that come to mind at present.  Anybody know anything else about this?

John Schinnerer