Cob RE: Beyond Cob...

Carol M. cllee at SWBell.net
Tue Dec 2 11:45:21 CST 1997

> >People are not starving because there are more people than food. <

Not _yet_, Julie, but that day is going to come, and in the next 20 years if
the population explosion continues.

>  >  If all the world but the US stopped producing food, the US
> could feed the entire world. <

There is less land being farmed now than at any other time in the history of
this country.  There are also less "family" farmers than ever before.  Massive
corporations are gobbling up more and more acres of farmland every year.  And
these companies make all their production decisions based on the bottom line of
a profit and loss statement - not what is best for the environment or the human
species.  They use massive amounts of energy, water and chemicals on the crops,
all in the name of profit.  This is _not_ sustainable farming.

I get the impression from your post that you feel this country should set new
goals for feeding the rest of the world.  I don't feel that way at all.  Other
countries have their own natural resources and they should learn to use them
for feeding, housing and caring for their own peoples.  This country is not
responsible for the entire rest of the world!

No other country in the world has done more for other countries than has the
US.  And Americans are almost universally hated in the rest of the world.  If
the US was struck with tragic disasters, natural or otherwise, I don't for one
minute believe that the rest of the world would rally to our aid.  We do have
the technology and wealth needed to come up with better ways to feed and house
ourselves.  We should be doing that.  If the other countries are willing to
learn and do the job for themselves, fine.  If not, then it's their problem to
solve any way they want to do it.

> > People are starving because of evil coercive governments who control the
> distribution of food, and who deny people their natural rights: life,
> liberty, and property. <

I'm not at all a fan of our government - neither Democratic or Republican
leadership.  Not at all!  But I don't buy the image of "evil coercive
governments" with the goal of inflicting as much suffering as possible on the
largest number of people possible.

On the other hand, if you want to have a party to throw rocks at our government
for being egotistical and ill informed, then I'll come - and bring my own
rocks.