Cob sledgehammers and heat retention

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Sun Dec 7 18:52:45 CST 1997

Hola John

From:	David DeFauw [SMTP:davidde at hevanet.com]
>...	A more energy efficient option for a severe cloudy climate might be a
wood
>stingy post a beam frame, straw bale walls, a poured adobe floor, interior
>cob pony walls and benches, and passive solar design.  This is a proven
>winner that is permitable anywhere.

> Could you give some details on how this would be permittable anywhere?
As far as I know, only a few states and counties have any codes to support
permitted straw bale homes.  I don't know of any that would allow earthern
floors, and all the ones I know of require cement stucco exteriors.  Any
further info would be very helpful...

Bob
I think you need to check that out with your building department - To the
best of my knowledge, NO Building Code porhibits Straw Bales, Cob, earthen
floors & plaster etc

the CABO code states in section R-108 entitled Alternative Materials and
Systems:

"R-108.1 General: The provisions of this code are not intended to limit the
appropriate use of materials, appliances, equipment or methods of design or
construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided the
building official determines that the proposed alternate materials,
appliances, equipment or methods of design or construction are at least
equivalent of that prescribed in this code in suitability, quality,
strength, effectiveness, fire-resistance, dimensional stability, safety and
sanitation."

I think that we tend to fall into the trap of thinking that because it is
not a "conventional" building system or material, it is prohibited.

I believe the key to what he (David) said was: "...a wood stingy post a
beam frame...", which is, indeed permittable.

Regards
Bob