Cob RE: Codes

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Mon Dec 8 13:48:19 CST 1997

Aloha,

On Sunday, December 07, 1997 4:53 PM, Bob Bolles [SMTP:bbolles at cts.com] wrote:
> the CABO code states in section R-108 entitled Alternative Materials and
> Systems:
>
> "R-108.1 General: The provisions of this code are not intended to limit the
> appropriate use of materials, appliances, equipment or methods of design or
> construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided the
> building official determines that the proposed alternate materials,
> appliances, equipment or methods of design or construction are at least
> equivalent of that prescribed in this code in suitability, quality,
> strength, effectiveness, fire-resistance, dimensional stability, safety and
> sanitation."

Well, I'm glad to hear that some people have had good experiences with building
officials.  I guess I don't personally know anyone who has had much but
grief...even with "conventional" stick 'n rock boxes.  I am aware that our
other methods aren't "prohibited," but as the code excerpt you inserted above
says, it's up to the building officials to "allow" what isn't prohibited, which
means they can very effectively "prohibit" it at will.  As far as engineer
and/or architect stamps, it's an option if one can find a competent engineer
and/or architect who is willing to do so and can afford the additional cost.

John Schinnerer