Cob Yoda's cob house

Frank Duffy frank at chimney.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 15:33:43 CST 1997

In message <199712070403.UAA16505 at mailtod-162.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
Michael Blate <michaelblate at webtv.net> writes
>The "silica sealant" may very well be what is (or used to be) called
>"water glass."  It was painted onto labels of packages to prevent their
>being smeared by any water which may drop onto it.  Friends have also
>used this (so I'm told -- children, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!) to seal
>radiator leaks in cars ... and maybe even cracked head gaskets.  But you
>didn't hear that from me, Michael Blate.

I think this is the first time I've posted anything here though I have
lurked for several months.

It was interesting to see the reference to Water Glass here.  We supply
a chimney sealant which uses water glass in one of the coatings.  When
we were first supplied this from our Swedish parent company I looked in
the reference library (Glasgow's Mitchell Library is the UK's biggest
reference library!).  I couldn't find a single reference to this
material.
--

Frank Duffy     Glasgow, Scotland.
Personal email to                  frank at chimney.demon.co.uk