Cob in the Northeast

Doug Patterson doug at ebuild.com
Tue Jan 6 08:41:16 CST 1998

Hi, I am interested in building a cob house in Southern Vermont. I have
friends who have built strawbale here and I have seen the half-completed
cob structure at Sirius in Amherst, MA but don't know of anyone else who
has built with cob in ON, PQ, NY, MA, VT or NH. Does anyone know of cob
buildings in this neck of the woods that I could go visit? I plan to go to
Quebec to see Michael Bergeron's work with living roofs and strawbale in
the spring. Also I am interested in how big a cob house can be. There are 5
of us in my family (3 people, 2 cats) and we want to have workshop and
studio space (not necessarily in the same structure and living quarters).

Thanks for all your help, I have really enjoyed reading the postings of
this group. Finally, I work at Environmental Building News so if anyone
wants a sample of our newsletter or has "green building" questions, I would
be happy to assist in anyway I can.

Doug Patterson
EBN