Cob Size Estimates

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Wed Jan 28 17:05:00 CST 1998

Hi fellow Cobbers,

I have a question for some of the experienced cob builders on this list.
Based on your experience what would be reasonable size cob building to
complete in 1 summer with 2 people working full time, 200, 500, 600,
1000 sq. ft? I am currently working out details in our design and I'm
assuming we need to build our house in stages. We would like to build a
section and move in, out of a trailer for the winter months. We are a
family of 5 plus 2 dogs so the bigger the space the better, yet I want
to be reasonably realistic in our estimates.

An idea I have regarding the connections between the sections is to
build the archway or connection then fill with strawbale as a temporary
wall for the winter insulation. This temporary wall can be coated with a
light coat of plaster on the outside and a thin cob plaster on the
inside. The temporary wall can be easily removed when the next section
is reasonably complete. Does this sound reasonable?

Regards,
Will