Cob RE: straw-clay (leichtlehm)

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Fri Feb 6 15:49:42 CST 1998

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	Paul Valerio [SMTP:valeri at io.com]
>Have you considered "leichtlehmbau" (lightstraw) as an option?
>It is mentioned in "The Straw Bale House" , pg 118. ...

Yeah, another good option for low-tech insulating walls - not much thermal
mass, however, so it will depend on what you need, and it doesn't lend itself
to other than flat square shapes - there's some info at:

http://www.zianet.com/blackrange/

...go to Techniques, then Part One, to find a link to the info on straw-clay.
 A web search on
Robert LaPorte will perhaps turn up some more, as he's one of the main folks
in the US I know of who's working with this technique - some text at:

http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/laporte.html

There's an article by him on straw-clay that I have a copy of - I'll try and
find it and post what issue of what magazine it came from, or someone else
can find it first...:-)

John Schinnerer