Cob RE: "insulation," etc.

John Schinnerer jschinnerer at seattle.usweb.com
Mon Mar 2 15:12:18 CST 1998

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From:	shonlenzo at juno.com [SMTP:shonlenzo at juno.com]
>I have heard that cob only has an R value (insualation) of .25 per inch of
cob.
>Is this true-The heat would be sucked right out -"Stone cold"

The first thing to be aware of is that Cob is a thermal mass material, not an
insulating material.  With all known building materials, there is a trade-off
between insulative values and thermal mass.  More mass typically means less
insulating, and vice versa.  If one tries to argue the value of cob from the
standpoint of insulation, one has already lost the argument.

According to physics, heat "flows" from one place to another in three ways:
 conduction (flow of heat from molecule to molecule within the material
itself), convection (flow of heat to (or from) the air (or water, other
surrounding medium, etc.)) and radiation (flow of heat from source to sink
via "radiation" - without messy physics explanations, this is why the sun
warms your skin even when the air is freezing and why you're colder at night
under the open sky than under trees).

R-value is a measure of NOTHING other than resistance of a material to
CONDUCTIVE heat flow.  It says nothing about the effect of the material
relative to convection and radiation.  It also says nothing about the effects
of thermal mass (or lack thereof).  And since Ianto isn't on this list to say
it, I'll say it for him - R-value is also a product of the commercial
insulation manufacturing industry.  They have made it the be-all and end-all,
to the point that codes refer only to R-values and have no appropriate way to
account for thermal mass materials and reflective materials.

It turns out that in most typical dwellings, far more heat is lost by
convection and radiation than by conduction - but "insulation" as the
building industry knows it only prevents loss by conduction.

I'll quit for now...does anyone know of a good FAQ on the above topics
(thermal mass, physics of heat flow, etc. applied to building materials)?  It
would be a good resource to point to when these sorts of questions come up.
 If there's not one out there somewhere, let's write one!

John Schinnerer