Cob mini bale alternative

Anne McMahon amcmahon at lm.net.au
Mon Mar 9 05:46:12 CST 1998

Hello everyone,
I am building a wall and am developing method that ends up being similar to
the mini bale idea.

I build a honey comb system along the length of the wall and infill the
cavities with straw / clay / slurry mix. Ever looked into a bee hive, well
it looks like one row of honey comb along the length of the wall. For the
straw infil I have tried three different techniques, 1 - packing dry straw
in the cavity, 2 - sticky  straw / clay mix and tamping down, next I'm
trying a runny  chopped straw / clay mix that will be poured into cavity.
Shredded paper is also a useful addition to the mixture. First layer of
honey comb 12 - 15 inches high and 18 - 20 inches long, walls are about 4 "
thick they are filled and then a layer of cob is placed over the top, with
the next layer of honey comb the cavity is offset.

Can anyone suggest which infill may give better insulative results?
I initially developed this technique to quicken the building process and for
use on the southern wall of my next house.

>I am writing this message for a friend who last summer participated in a
>Cob Cottage workshop here in British Columbia. She is going to be in
>Australia next summer and would like to visit some cob buildings (or
>anything related) along with permaculture sites.
Ian I'd be happy to show her cob and permaculture stuff but i am a long way
from where she plans to be.

Regards
Anne McMahon
Sun Dried Earth
--
Calling from the Lower Murray Network, service of Noel & Friends.
Email info at lm.net.au or visit http://www.lm.net.au/ for more information!