Cob Re: How long does cob have to cure?

Michael Saunby mike at chook.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 03:30:18 CST 1998

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Frugally4u wrote:
>
> > * How long does cob have to cure before you can move in? I've read up to a
> > year - is this true?
>
> No this is not true.  I can take a year or more for a cob wall to dry, but
> this is how long it takes for the moisture level to stabilize.  It doesn't
> actually fully dry, there is always some moisture content, and it will
> vary depending on outside temperatures, humidity, rain exposure, etc.,
> just like with wood and pretty much any other porous building material.

An architect here in Devon told me that someone caused a cob building
to collapse by using an injection damp proof treatment in the supporting
plinth.  The slow movement of moisture through a cob wall is clearly
very important to its stability.

I know nothing more of this story but afterwards I did wonder whether
it might be more complex; In the past I've been told that injection
treatments are rarely effective in stone buildings and are normally
combined with waterproof internal plasters, etc.  So perhaps the abuse
which caused the collapse was more extensive.

--
Michael Saunby
Teachmore Farm, Jacobstowe, Okehampton, Devon, United Kingdom. EX20 3AJ