Cob render for restoration

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Fri Apr 24 20:34:39 CDT 1998

 Mike,

Sounds like a fun project.

A couple years back, the University of Plymouth in Devon County, England
published the conference papers for their "Out of Earth II" conference.  It
contains a lot of articles on restoring old cob structures.  See if they
have a web site, etc.

Generally, I would say not to use any cement stucco because it would trap
moisture inside the walls and hasten their demise.  to be truly traditional,
you might like to consider a traditional lime plaster made out of
"Quicklime" which I understand can be somewhat dangerous with burns, etc.
You have to "hydrate" it by soaking it for a while in water - indeed the
longer you soak it, the better.  Try experimenting with various percentages
of sand and some horse hair.

I wish I could write more right now, but I'd have to do the research myself
presently.

Robert Bolman