Cob render for restoration

vtrac at alternatives.com vtrac at alternatives.com
Sat Apr 25 01:46:54 CDT 1998

>Hi, all.  I've had a look through the archives and can't find exactly what
>I'm looking for, so I'll post this & ask your forbearance in advance...
>
>We've recently bought a house in central France, about 50 miles from Paris.
>It's an old farm, with four buildings: the farmhouse itself, a cow shed, a
>pig sty and a large barn.  All except the pig sty are built with cob (or
>'bauge' in French).  All the structures are single storey, with oak beams
>etc.  Framing of doors and windows is in local brick, and the roofs are in
>mechanical tiles, fibrocement  slates and corrugated iron.  Floors are
>beaten earth in the barns and stables, hexagonal ceramic tiles in the
>farmhouse.  The central portion of the farmhouse probably dates from the
>18th century, possibly earlier. (If anyone's interested in the details, I'll
>put some photos up on my website).

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you have some exciting and interesting work ahead.  This
question slightly off topic. Yes we are interested in some photos of your
place for a slide show that we have put together on cob as part of our
educational outreach. One aspect of our slide show includes the history of
cob. We would be grateful for any photos that you could send us and are
more than willing to cover your costs.  We look forward to seeing your
website.

Hope to hear from you.

Ian Marcuse
Down to Earth Building Bee