Cob Fireplace walls

Frank Duffy frank at chimney.demon.co.uk
Mon May 11 05:32:51 CDT 1998

In message <199805110125.LAA21414 at emerald.net2000.com.au>, Rog
<dodgyrog at hotmail.com> writes
>Howdy folks,
>
>Precurser:  Might I take this opportunity to say what a fantastic resource
>this list is?  I've been following it for a few weeks having ploughed
>through the early archives and you're an invaluable lot.
>
>So anyway, I'm intending to get my cob cottage up and running over the
>coming summer in readiness for moving in before winter (southern hemisphere
>seasons, please).  I'm planning on building a slow-combustion heater/cooker
>into my design, which will have its front, doors and cooktop made from cast
>iron, with the remaining walls made from a cob mix minus the straw.
>Well, at least that's the fantasy.  Does anyone have any tips on using
>earth for fireplace walls?  What mix should I start experimenting with?
>Has anyone made anything similar?
>
>Cheers, Rog.

Rog,

Sounds really interesting.  I'm looking forward to hearing from
experienced cobbers on this one.

I would have thought that the extremes of temperature may be a problem
and that the very least that would be required is that the actual
firebed is lined with firebrick or fireclay
Frank Duffy     Glasgow, Scotland.
Personal email to                  frank at chimney.demon.co.uk

at work...
ISOKERN - the safety chimney       fduffy at isokern.co.uk