Cob Fireplace walls/solar ovens

Rog rogb at net2000.com.au
Sun May 17 20:35:27 CDT 1998

> Anyone know of a cob fireplace - dehydrator for those who don't cook
their
> foods but eat Live Foods? Ie- something next to a fireplace but insulated
so
> foods dry at 110 degrees?

I'm planning on having to chambers adjoining my cob fireplace.  One is
serperated only by a large expanse of cast iron so it will function like an
oven.  Temperature control will be by way of a slide on the front door (and
of course the size of the fire in the neighbouring chamber).  Below the
fireplace itself is going to be a hollow seperated by about eight inches of
clay/sand.  It won't have a door and is designed to be a space for rising
doughs, culturing yoghurts and warming shoes and socks overnight.
By positioning your extra chambers appropriately, I'm sure you could create
any environment you please.  I'm also using the top of mine as a hotplate
-- thinking about it, foods could be dehydrated by being placed on a grill
on top of the hotplate area with a cool fire underneath.

Cheers, Rog.